Monday, July 21, 2008

Lately

Working for the night is coming...


This is the field that goes with the farmhouse that was our winter project -- remember that one? Soon after we bought it we planted it in wheat (yeah, like I had so much to do with it) - that was last November. And, now you're seeing the fruits of the field. Mark and Wayne (with Sherri's help) were combining the wheat in these pics. Beautiful amber waves of grain. The straw left behind was baled over the next couple of days and it is there I missed the best picture. It seems we have a family (or two) of snakes living in that field. When the straw was made into bales some of them got baled, too. Wayne was standing on a very high wagon loaded with straw when he was tossed one such bale. He looked down to see a snake looped, squirming to get out. The tail and head were both stuck in the firmly packed straw. Having nowhere to go - Wayne grabbed that writhing snake and flung it. I can't imagine... my brave, tough hubby - who absolutely hates snakes. Someone - who probably should go into hiding placed one of the days kill in Wayne's truck. I think he's still suffering from post traumatic stress disorder! Just kidding - but I would have liked to seen that.

Lauryn learning to mow. Doing a fine job. Do we need a traffic light??











9 comments:

Connie Lavy said...

Those are beautiful farm pictures. You guys are becoming great farmers.

How cute, Lauryn working on the farm mowing!

Lots of Love,
Mom

Regi said...

Very cute pics

krisanddrew said...

love the pictures. reminds a person that God loves color and loves to pain with it.

The Sayler Family said...

Hey wayne I had the same thing happen to me except the snakes head was sticking out of the bale and he was strikeing at me. I think that made me hate snakes even more. just a few more weeks until bow season. see you then, Mike

LJL said...

You can have your snakes. Yikes. I hope there are none on the golf course, Saturday, Wayne.

Stephanie said...

Ooooh! Love the wide open spaces of farm pics! Welcome to my world, girl! LOL!

Poor Wayne and that snake! When I occasionally helped bale back in the day, we would see usually just a dead snake stuck in the bale. Gross! Made for some nightmares.

Love ya!

krisanddrew said...

wilma,

how did things go today with the interview? just wondering

krisanddrew said...

I think that adults will love sponge bob and bob the builder :) I am excited for you as you start this new adventure. We will have to exchange stories. My email address is kmiller@franklinbmc.org

Becky said...

Wow, how many acres do you have? Those are great pictures. I can't imagine picking up the hay with the snake!!