Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Us Four - Down memory "Avenue"


Last wknd we ate lunch with my cousin Steve, his wife, Melissa and of course Taylor Rae. Jon and Melissa were also there with their five children. We were born cousins but we grew up like brothers and sisters. It was always "us four" -- my sister, Julia, Steve, Jon and me. We were quite the bunch and never lacked for things to do. I was the oldest, then Steve, Julia, then only six months from her, Jon. We were pretty much inseparable. And, the great times we have had ... along with some hard times, too. Julia died of cancer at the age of 14 yrs. We all miss her and I know a piece of us (four) will always be missing. She was one to do things on her own ... We do wish she could have stayed a bit longer with us. She had so much more living to do -- or so we thought. (I didn't really mean to go there -- so I'll dry it up and move on) We had a great time seeing them. It is not often that we are all together. Life just has a way of setting all new priorities for you as you get older, get married, have jobs, kids, etc. So, yes it was great being with everyone and gettin' close for a picture to freeze another memorable time to be reflected upon later. So here's to "us four"-- I will never forget all the ball games -- little ones again' the big ones, the hours we spent playing church, "office" -- how I insisted upon being the VP... you all played along. Skating, putt putt, milkshakes making cookies, and how many pizza's do you think we made as kids -- Uncle Paul should still think about that "Paul's Pizza Parlor". Trips to the Library to sign up for Summer Reading Club (John and I lasted for an hour, Steve and Julia would read for days). Hunting, biking (for like half days on the Bike Trail), batting cages, beating kids up for each other, beating each other up -- not often. Shoveling snow for money. Mowing grass for money. Going to Dairy Queen to spend our money. You define my childhood. When I think of the good ole days when I was a kid -- I see four skinned up kids having the time of their lives in a white house with a not so big yard on a very busy street in the middle of a busy town. We were living it up and just felt sorry for all the kids that didn't have it as good as we did, because after all we had each other, a family that loved us and imaginations that wouldn't stop short of fun -- and what really matters past that when your a kid. Go love your family.


Thanks for letting my feelings just air out -- I'll be composed for next time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved all the pictures of the family. You are allowed to air out your feelings every once in a while! :o) Love ya friend.
Michele

Gayle said...

Love the pictures Wilma!
I love hearing life stories.
Sometimes we know people but yet we don't know what all goes on in their lives or what they have gone through.Thank you for sharing with us!
Love,
Sis E

Anonymous said...

Your sister, Julia and I, were friends at a couple of camps. She was a special person. I can't imangine what you have gone through, losing your only sibling. I'm glad that we have a Savior who helps us in our hard times and said He would not give us more than we can bear.


Becky