Sunday, July 1, 2007

She did it!








My "Wild" did it. She took the hand of her timid groomsman and gracefully made their way down the long aisle. Bamboo adorned with Wisteria, a soft breeze whispering and one hundred strange people watching their every move -- they did it! My mother's heart swelled with pride as a very unlikely miniature bride proved her daddy (and others - I'm sure) wrong. Thank you, Jesus, for small miracles. And thank you all, who said a prayer in her behalf.








We (Shannon and I) gingerly sat them down at the back of the outdoor sanctuary. We gave them a little pep talk - ever so careful to maintain absolute calmness. I gave them both a Skittle and instructed Brooklyn to go see Daddy. "Daddy will give you more candy. Play wedding with Michael. Hold his hand. Good girl!" Two big, trusting, blue eyes looked adoringly at her mama and sat forth to make her proud. Then to Michael -- with John Deere tractor in hand, Skittle in chew -- I said go see Mommy and Daddy. His sparkling eyes seem to take me up on the offer. Then joining hands they started down, looking like two angels in the midst of a fairytale setting - a perfect outdoor, country wedding.





AND THEN... my Wild came in contact with her natural instincts and dropped the hand of her handsome beau, whirled on her heal and ran back to mama.




Left standing was a bewildered miniature groom. I breathed...and then I calmly took the hand of the runaway miniature bride. Walked her back to the jilted miniature groom and said "Daddy is right up there. Go see Daddy. Play wedding with Michael." Catching a glimpse of daddy -- courage restored -- wild suppressed -- she took Michael's hand and resumed the march. And then, I knew, she was really going to do it.




I felt like doing a victory dance and high-fiving the usher! Brookie, you and Michael rock.




The show might have been for Sarah and Mark, but you stole it..... we won't tell them. I am so proud of you both.

I want to say a big "thank you to Grammy - my mom for allowing Brookie to have a non complicated morning the day of the wedding. She was oblivious to most of the last minute hustle and craziness her mama was attending to because "Grammy" was there. And Aunt 'Chele - thank you for keeping Brookie entertained and out of the wedding cake up until she was to do her part. (My apologies to the bridesmaids whom Wild might have driven crazy from the derby she was participating in on the squeaky rocking horse.) You two are the best. Thank you !
On a more serious note. The wedding was storybook quality -- and not because I helped -- but because God was smiling on us and blessed us with a warm summer day laced with gentle breezes followed by a breath taking sunset. God is good!




God bless you -- Sarah and Mark! And may this be only the first in a lifetime full of happy days.

For some great pics of the whole day go to (where I stole these pics - thank you K & J) visit Katie and Janella under my Family and Friends.

7 comments:

Heather said...

I thought Brooklyn and Michael did a wonderful job at the wedding! You did a great job coordinating too! I know what a big job that is. Everything turned out so pretty!

Martha C said...

So cute! Loved your retelling! :-)

Paul and Candy said...

Way to go Brooklynn. We knew you were truely your momma's girl. No fear of anything!!! I would love for you to send me a picture of you in your pretty dress!!

Love,
Aunt Candy

Unknown said...

Wilma, Brooklyn looks so adorable in these pictures. Mollie was in Trisha's wedding right before she turned 2 and I remember the stress of not knowing if she would go through with it. Thank goodness she did!

Katie and the boys said...

I love your storytelling! I am sure glad they went down! They were so cute! You did a great job with all of the craziness!!!!!

Gayle said...

Great Job Wilma! Looks like a beautiful wedding! Brooklyn is so pretty!
Love,
Sis E

Tamra said...

She did a great job and so did you...coordinating the whole thing. Way to go Brookie AND WILMA!