Friday, October 5, 2007

Chaplain, Naughty Nurse and a Monte Carlo

Chapter 2

Wow! At this rate I will never finish this book. OK -- This is going to be the condensed version. Stick with me and I'll go fast. I'm the nurse. Parking at our hospital is a major problem right now. A parking garage is under construction. Many employees are parked off site and are shuttled in - it's that bad. It is nothing for me to spend 10 minutes just looking for a place. Now those of you that know me realize this must have been an exception to my standard but I was running it close (to clocking in on time). The morning air was crisp, the birds were chirping cheerfully and I was ready to ram some BMW with my big truck and just make a place where there wasn't one. I didn't. But......what I did do brings my head down between my knees and color to my cheeks. The chaplains parking place was empty! I thought ..... she must not be coming in today...... I'll come back and move my truck after I go in and see how busy things are..... I'll be the chaplain today..... I'll minister to my patients and after all the chaplain will show a Christ-like attitude and not key my truck for parking in her spot. I took it. Made it into work and we were so busy! At my late lunch I ran out, moved the truck and found a place a mile away! Sitting down to inhale my lunch - who should come into the lunch room -- the Chaplain!! She sat down across from me. I immediately turned as red as Bob the tomato and probably sounded much like my 2 yr when she's been caught with her hand in the toilet. She calmly asked -- Do you have something to tell me?? With a grin on her face and a twinkle in her eye, I was no less embarrassed. She said I didn't believe it. When they said it was you -- I said there must be another one by that name. And then I thought - you must have been in some pinch. I told her my lame excuses. Promised her chocolate. Confirmed that the truck had been moved. And still felt so bad and even more after she told me she was going on vacation and I could have her parking spot during that time and she would inform security. I have known her for years and she is a very cool person, but this was a sentence of guilt. Enough of that -- you get the picture.

Coming back from parking my truck - legally this time - a blue Monte Carlo S.S. pulled in front of me. I took note immediately for it looked so much like the car of my dating years with my man - so many moons ago. Yes, it is the moonlit nights that I remember in that car....... I digress. I yell, "Hey"! The lady - somewhat shocked and amused at a nurse flagging her down in the parking lot - stops. There is a "For Sale" sign in the window. Short ending to a long, long ( the least of which not being the woman crying so hard at the bank upon signing over the car that my husband tried to talk her out of it) story -- we are once again the owners of a blue, 1984 Chevy Monte Carlo S.S. I feel 17 again! We've looked for one of these for several years. Was sin committed here? Was it meant to be? I'm sorry Mrs. Chaplain, but I'm really glad we found the car.

10 comments:

Janella said...

I can't believe it!!! That is so awesome! I love the parking space story, I can you doing all of this, thanks for the smiles!

Janella said...

I have a few memories in that car:)

Janella said...

Mine may not be as treasured as yours, OK I'll shut up:)

Gayle said...

That is hillarious! Congratulations on the car!
We had a yellow monte carlo I just loved it.
Thanks for the pumpkin:)

Unknown said...

I enjoyed this post! Your story about the parking spot was so funny. You really have a way with words!

The Sayler Family said...

I think this might be a case of "He can take what's wrong and make it right"! Thanks for the laugh.
Kim

The Millard Family said...

Wilma, I can relate to your parking story. I have lived through hospital construction. One time we were being bussed from Union Terminal downtown Cincinnati to a hospital up on "pill-hill" It was sub-zero weather and they served hot chocolate and donuts and coffee while we waited for the bus to return and pick us up. You are a great story teller!

Martha C said...

Love the stories, "Chaplain." :-) I now know who to call when in need of prayer.

The Dickinsons said...

That is hilarious! I'm glad that the Chaplin was "forgiving" and glad that you found that neat car.

Wilma, I know that your Wayne doesn't have time to look at blogs very often, but he MIGHT WANT TO CHECK OUT THE BLOG POST I JUST POSTED ABOUT MY BROTHER ANDREW, FROM AK, HIS BEAR HUNTING STORY WITH PICS. HE WASN'T BEAR HUNTING, BUT A BEAR CAME TO ATTACK THEM AND HE HAD TO SHOOT IT WITH A PISTOL, FOR HE DIDN'T HAVE HIS RIFFLE WITH HIM. THERE ARE PICS ON MY BLOG, AND THAT BEAR IS HUGE, AND WAS TOLD BY AK FISH AND GAME THAT IT COULD BE PUT IN THE BOONE AND CROCKET RECORD BOOK !!!!!

Thanks for the congrats on our baby #4, we're excited.

Heather =)

Anonymous said...

Well said.