Monday, October 15, 2007

Weekend Getaway



What a great weekend! We are so blessed to have so many wonderful, close friends. And can you believe 24 of us spent the weekend together in a big house in Gatlinburg?! The house is still standing and I believe the friendships stronger. I drove away from the "big house" thinking - wow! - that was so great - to have such friends that make you proud of the way you believe and live, to know that they are traveling the same path and reaching for the same goal.

My favorite part was the feeling I have just being with good friends - hiking, biking, eating, gaming, horseback riding, devotions and laughing. I loved it all. God gave us a beautiful, safe weekend. He blessed us with protection and returned us safely home to our children. Thank you grandparents for taking such good care of the kiddos. You all are the best. Thank you, my friends, for a memorable time. May God bless us all, keep us strong and shall we always be undefeated examples of grace.




Now can we pause a moment to have devotions? Yes, devotions. Take just a minute if you haven't already. I need to unburden my soul. Lest someone think I'm neglecting my duty I need to share my devotional. We - my husband and I - were assigned Sunday. The couples left at different times of the day and were not in the same place at the same time - unlike the other days. So, for our friends that missed it Sunday morning (and anyone else that is interested ) here is the second session. And by the way - Janella and Michele your devotions are worth repeating. You blessed me by your reminders of the promises of God. Post them.




Two thoughts kept pounding in my head. #1 The power of my friends. #2 The power of choice. So, not being able to get away from either thought I wanted to share them both and hope they come out in some organized fashion.


I want to let you know the fellowship we share means so much. I can't tell you how blessed I feel to have friends that are taking the same road as I. This is where I feel at home. I want to fellowship with you, I want my kids growing up being friends with your kids. I want to pray for you. I want you to pray for me. I have confidence in you. I realize that not everyone has this blessing of so many close friends and I just want you to know I am so thankful. I know I have a responsibility to you and I don't want to fail you in this area.


Romans 15:1,5


We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves.


Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus.


We are to lift one another up. When one is weak or has a burden - lift a hand and a prayer. It is humanly easy to find fault with each other. To think and presume the worst is what often happens. "Oh, she didn't even speak to me!" "Did you see that look she gave me?" We girls are so often to blame for such thought - it is just the woman thing to do. Which leads me to thought #2 - The power of choice. We can choose to think the best of each other. What if that look is one of burden and hurt?? Think good - the best of others. Bear the infirmities of the weak. The God of patience..... We have the power of choice. We can choose to be a blessing to each other or we can choose to hurt and tear apart. The choice we make will take us closer to our destination. Where are we going? We can choose which way to go. The paths are very different with the end results as drastic. One choice can make such a difference. This is so true in our every day life with our spouses as well as our friends. I will leave you with some words by one of my favorite writers - Debi Pearl. This thought changed my life. I hope you are in a place where it can have the same effect on you. I have proven that you can choose to be happy. Debi is writing about her 35 yr. successful marriage.




Our delight in each other did not happen because he is the perfect man, or because he "loves me as Christ loves the church," of because he is "sensitive to all my needs." It didn't happen because he takes the trash out, or cleans up after himself, or has always made a good living, providing me with all the things most women take for granted. It didn't happen because he is a strong spiritual leader and always does the right thing. It happened and continues to happen because of the choices I make every day. I never have a chip on my shoulder, no matter how offended I have a right to be -- and I do have reasons to be offended regularly. Every day, I remember to view myself as the woman God gave this man. Live with thanksgiving, forgiveness, and joy, and enjoy all moments as if they were your last. Someday, soon enough, they will be.




Choose to be a good friend. Choose to be happy!


Love, wl.

11 comments:

The Going Blog said...

I'd much rather be happy than gloomy. It is taking some effort to be happy for you all after seeing how much fun you had in Gatlinburg :) I'll get there though. What a blessing-that was my real thought when I saw all the pics Bradley had gathered on his web page from the weekend. You guys made some awesome memories and spent some money while you were at it. Now that's fun! ha

Anonymous said...

We are so blessed and I don't want to take our friendships for granted! God convicted me just yesterday about encouraging one another and building each other up! Not only my friends, but my husband too! Choices are amazing things that can change the course of your life forever. God, please help me make the right choices. Thanks for the encouragement this morning.
Love ya friend!

Katie and the boys said...

We had a great time and can't wait to do it again!!!

Your devotional was great!!!

Janella said...

Thanks for sharing the devotions! Great words. I too loved having such an awesome time with my friends! I love making memories! There isn't a better group of people to make them with:)Love ya, Janella

Tamra said...

What a great time we had! Thanks again for organizing it all. We would love to do it again.

krisanddrew said...

Wilma

we enjoyed ourselves so much and it was great to spend time with everybody. can't wait to do it again.

Gayle said...

Thanks Wilma for the wonderful devotion you shared. I am so thankful that at the age of 23 I made a choice to turn my life over to the Lord. At the time I did not realize what an effect it would have on many lives or where I would be if I had not made that choice. So glad you all had a great time.
Love,
Sis E

Jody J said...

I enjoyed your devotional. It is just what we women need. Isn't it just like the devil to hound us right where he knows he can get us? This was a great reminder to make the right choice.
BTW, are you Wilma Beaty (sp)? I think I knew you from camp many years ago. I stumbled onto your blog from - I don't even remember whose! I used to be Jody Mowery - now Johnson. I hope I have the right Wilma!

Lavy Country said...

Jodi - yes, I do remember you. So glad you stopped by. Weren't we dating (if you can call it that) the Cooper brothers at the same time?? Wow! - that was a loooong time ago. Hope you are doing well. Do you have a blog? Talk to you later.
wl (Beatty was the last name - good memory on your part)

Jody J said...

Oh, I totally forgot about that! Yeah, I guess we thought we'd be sisters-in-law someday! That's just too funny. My, how things change! Yes, I do have a blog - jodyj.wordpress.com - stop by sometime.
Great to reconnect!

sarahmfry said...

Not sure how I feel right now - a bit jealous, I think. But so happy and excited for the way God is blessing and strengthening you all together. I enlarged the group pic and had a good time checking the couples out.

Awesome Debi Pearl quote. She has great medicine for wives, though I don't always agree with the dosage. ;-)

ALWAYS love reading your words....