Tuesday, April 22, 2008

You know, life is just full of hair-pin curves, detours and sometimes drop off cliffs. The sun is shinning - you are basking in the warmth and seemingly out of nowhere it starts to rain, hail and earthquake. What was steady and sure underneath is now rattled. At first you remain motionless - surprise and shock turning into reality. Gingerly you start to move - toward the "rocks, the unmovable" - attempting to gain steadiness. Disappointment gives way to disappointment and just when you don't know where your next step or grasp will be - you feel a familiar place - It was there hidden beneath the "rocks". I now come in full contact with a surface so strong, so sure that I fall against It bearing all my weight - unaccustomed to the strength and shiftless foundation. I regain my bearings - I can focus - I can pray for that is all that is left. The total dependency on the Foundation leads to fervent prayer and sweet relief as you feel the doubt and uncertainty give way to trust. This renewed rest in the Foundation gives me assurance that my life is in His hands and He holds tomorrow.
The last several days have been somewhat rough - I know you can probably relate. I'm hoping this will remind you from where our strength comes! I recently read the words of Jim Cymbala - "I discovered an astonishing truth: God is attracted to weakness. He can't resist those who humbly and honestly admit how desperately they need him."
Is that why I have felt the shifting beneath my feet? Was I basking in the sun too comfortable to really depend on God, leaning too hard on my rocks? For anyone out there that may be in the same boat - God is in control. He still reigns. Let's pray for God's strength, grace and wisdom during difficult times.
(I want to add - I thank God for the "rocks" in my life. I don't feel they have forsaken me and I hope they know I haven't forsaken them, I only need to draw from God's infinite store of grace and strength.)

5 comments:

Michele said...

Love ya friend!

krisanddrew said...

thank you for the reminder. I needed that

Amy said...

I know that God lets the deveil put what seem like huge rocks in our lives and we don't always seem to understand why, but ALWAYS remember GOD is in control and has a special plan.

love always
a

Heather said...

That was very encouraging!!! Thanks friend!

Jenny said...

Wilma, you may never know the truth in your words I can definitly identify with your thoughts and feelings for I have been there. Thank God for his strenth, hope and love for without it, I would have never made it. Be encouraged for when we have tough times, rest assured that we are being held by His everlasting arms.
Love, Jenny