Sunday, August 5, 2007


The breeze speaks relief, the surrounding sounds and smells comforting. I coast along enjoying it all. Then, it happens. Gradual but unrelenting. What once was a leisure now is a painful attempt to maintain forward motion. Scenery that was once floating by now halts as I appear to be handicapped by the steep incline barely inching forward -- but forward none the less. Refusing the whines and moans of aching muscles I force every ounce of energy from my neck, arms chest and abdomen down. Down to the screaming legs leaving my upper body free of strain. And then with all the borrowed strength the legs take over. Revolution after revolution they empower. Ignoring the pace of the scenery I look down and I see the small pebbles in the asphalt -- a blur-- confirming forward motion! I find new determination. Not looking at what is to come or how far I am from the top, I just focus on the blurry pebbles. One by one passing them -- I've got that much behind me. Pebble by pebble. Forward. Sweat. Pain. Forward. My last post I left you hangin' in the middle of my week. It was a day off at the hospital which means a day of work at home catching up on all that has been needing attention while you where away working. So with the laundry started and the house in a semi orderly state I indulged in some blog time. Who knew it would almost be two weeks before I entered "Blog Sweet Blog" again. Thursday I worked again and that evening went to the grocery store to stock up on some appropriate food for our Homebuilders group we would be hosting Friday night. Not that they wouldn't like grilled cheese sandwiches, but anyways....Friday morning it was a pebble by pebble pace as I looked around at all that needed to be done and how motionless I seemed. I ran to do the usual Friday morning house call to Wayne's grandparents. And returned home to tidy up the house (sounds so much better then major over haul) and prepare food. The evening was an enjoyable one and we find ourselves reminded how blessed we are with great friends. I am the oh, so casual hostess. I get on my last nerve especially knowing what efficient, fashion conscious hostesses and great cooks you all are. Guess if you ever get board with refinement you can pay me a visit. I'll put you at ease and reassure you how great you are with food, entertaining, and home decor. After all, I'm pretty sure I had a Christmas hand towel hanging in my downstairs bathroom that night. And that is so me. Guess I should have been worrying about that instead of blogging. So enough of the detail -- not much for that either. The rest of the wknd -- which was oh, Sat. and Sun., a family reunion - covered dish, birthday party - more food , the portrait studio, family over in the evening, church, over to in laws for dinner - covered dish -- too bad I didn't make mass quantities for the first one I did this wknd. then back to church. Forward. Focus. Enjoy. I look up. I'm at the top. I look back. YES! I made it. The coast is revitalizing. The wind in my face erases lines of worry, dread, and exhaustion. I look around and realize life is good. The blessings around us are out of site when our heads are down and we are only concerned with maintaining the forward motion. Push like there in no tomorrow. Dig down and find some energy, drive, something that will get you to the top. It is close and oh, the bliss and sweet relief. Enjoy the coast. And, get ready for the next climb. We're in this together and it helps knowing we're making it together. The analogy -- my bike ride a couple of days ago.


My "chief editor" told me this was a bit wordy (that is one reason it sat in the draft box for 4 days) -- so, I apologize to those of you that are board with the wordiness and exercise symbolism. That just happens to be where I am right now and that is what is inspiring me. I know some of you hear me and others can't imagine the motivation of sweat and pain. Try it -- you may like it :o)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A new post! YEAH! Tell your editor that mostly women are reading this blog and we like the wordiness. :o) Once again you have inspired me and it's off to the Nordic Track I go, the chocolate chip cookies can wait!

Stephanie said...

A Christmas hand towel? I used that bathroom and I think the towel was just plain green. If it was Christmas, I didn't notice...I must have been too busy enjoying the delicious chicken kabobs you made!

Unknown said...

It was nice to see you last night and even though I've already told you this, I always enjoy reading your blog. You really have a knack for writing!

Katie and the boys said...

Good luck with the race on Saturday!!!!!

Tamra said...

I think your chief editor needs to be fired.
I don't remember a Christmas towel in the bathroom - just in the kitchen...JUST KIDDING! No really, all I remember is the good food and the fun we had. Aren't those the only two components a hostess strives for? So you pass (not that I'm scoring, but you brought this all up) - with flying colors! I've been feeling your pain (somewhat) recently too since I've fired up our Nordic Track - now if only I could find out why it isn't working properly. So to the bike I have went. Isn't the half hour or so worth it because the end result is feeling great for the rest of the day? Even sore muscles make you realize you pushed yourself and won. Good luck on Saturday!

Tamra said...

BTW, I loved the bike pic with the saddle. Wouldn't it be nice if all bikes had nice, comfy seats as big as that? Maybe more people would get out and ride... :)