Sunday, August 26, 2007

Sunday in the Wild West


OK maybe I don't get out enough, but I'm bettin' you didn't see this at your church today.




A gun-slingin', Bible-carryin', church-goin' cowboy. And yes, I did ask him if I could take his picture. (After I asked some of the church people if they thought he'd mind -- after all he did have a gun!) He said - humbly - "I don't know who would want a picture of me" -- little did he know... I thought it was just so cool. I told him we had some guys back in our church that would appreciate it. I was thinking of you Merl and Shane :0) Go buy a holster and come out west! Check out their church. Thought it was pretty cool too. A log church!



Oh, and by the way we did attend our church via the www. I am just so proud of our people. As we were naming you all off to Mike I realized how much I would miss you all if we ever followed this hankerin' we sometimes feel.



A family from the church invited us to lunch. I went to high school with Jodi. Thank you for a wonderful meal! You went to too much trouble! We really enjoyed your hospitality.





After lunch Mike took us to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. This is not far from the church. These pictures will not give justice to the canyon. You will only have to imagine the _____ I cannot even think of a word. ______ I'm having trouble. What about reverence? In all honesty you cannot help but feel reverence for its beauty and vastness. This canyon is in the middle of flat meadow areas. You have no idea its there. And then the earth just opens up. Jagged rock walls cradling a roaring stream. The stream is only a mere 2000 ft. below. You are left standing in awe at God's handiwork. How great Thou art -- when I in awesome wonder consider all the works Thy hands have done!





Wayne is very aware of the reality of 2000 ft. I on the other hand figure what is the difference. If I fall from 2 stories vs. 2000 ft. -- they both would probably kill me. He was a little unnerved by the whole view concerning the girls. He didn't want Brooklyn even on the lookout area. That thought made us both sick to our stomachs. There were open areas that didn't have railing -- dropping straight down!






Mike did this just for Wayne -- who was incidentally in the truck with Brooklyn at the time. He said he had seen enough. Mike climbed out on this narrow rock to pose. When we got back to the truck and showed him he just shook his head and said "He's crazy!" I told Mike he better not fall -- there was no way I was calling Kim up and telling her. He didn't!


Here may be the reason why Wayne hasn't gotten the big elk. Maybe they are as smart as the deer. Hiding behind the no hunting signs! Colorado deer are pretty clever. Love this picture.



4 comments:

Gayle said...

I understand completly I got so sick when we went to colorado I could not stand the heights I just wanted to get out of there. I would never take kids I would go crazy! It is beautiful! But give me the flat land of Ohio. Glad you are having a great time.
Love,
Sis E

Martha C said...

Loved the pics! Makes me miss my years of living in SD.

LaDonna said...

Boy, I wouldn't want to get lost in the dark around there, just walking through the woods and then the earth OPENS UP!! Yep, I'm with your hubby, keep the Wild One in the car! My husband crawled around the rail at Royal Gorge when he was 5, said he was trying to look back INTO those binocular camera things his brother was looking out of!! Gave his poor mother a near stroke!! No wonder my kids are crazy! :)

Tamra said...

Just wanted to let you know I got Shane to read a blog for the first time - yours!! I called him at work to tell him he needed to see this post. He thought it was great. Thanks for sharing it! Glad you are having a great time.