Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Triathlon

I finished. I so wanted to do better than I did, but there has been a lesson learned and I still have a drive to do better next time.
It started off wrong. Some days you feel as if you can whip the world -- that day I felt as if the world had already whipped me (before I started). I just didn't have it. I was nervous. I can't wait until I can do one of these things and not feel as if my belly is going to take flight. I don't know why I get nervous, possibly due to the unknown -- I really don't know, but it takes some energy away that I really needed to conserve.
The grand entrance was my fall into the pool. Yes, I actually fell in! I went to gracefully jump and I slipped on the metal edge making my nervousness skyrocket. Next was - get my goggles in place. I reached for them and when I did not feel them - said "my goggles" only to be reminded by the lap counter - "they're on your head". I wanted to start all over, but there was no turning back. I plunged in and despite the awkward strokes, difficult breathing pattern and oblivion to my injury from the tumble, I made the 500 meters (~1/3 of a mile). The bike was long - 17 miles! Was posted to be only 12 miles! Bad joke. There was a big part of me that wanted to quit. And for those of you that know me well - know I don't quit. I went from the bike to the attempted run. And this is where I truly become frustrated. I know I audibly expressed it at one point when I just couldn't make my legs run. The muscles became so tight and heavy that I had to resort to a power walk. So power walk I did, interrupted by short runs that would end in frustrated gyrating until the last leg of the race. And then you dig deep and find any and all droplets of energy left - pull them together and attempt something more than a walk. You must run across the finish line. The race ended at a stadium. No it was not finished at the stadium. You had to take one lap in the stadium! I initially turned into the stadium and headed directly to the finish only to be rerouted to the long way around. That was a long lap, but I managed to stay in a forward motion that was little more than a walk. The finish line was still up. That was a plus. I thank God for the ability to put one foot in front of the other and the strength to finish this goal of mine. It really was a great feeling. I was disappointed that I didn't do it faster, but it hit me that if I would have kicked hiney that day I wouldn't appreciate the outcome as much as when I do! This is something that is not accomplished overnight or even in a few short months. These people are trained athletes that have a drive and passion much like mine, but have the hours and hours of disciplined training to show behind their success. So, back to the trench work... Thank you, my friends and family -- my roaring crowd -- you are the best. My Lauryn, Mom, Michele and Sarah thanks for your encouraging support. Thank you to my (self-appointed) trainer - husband - you let me have some time just for me. And Shane, Mark and Ken... Let's just say they hold a high standard for performance. They are remarkable athletes and thank you for letting me know that I did accomplish something great.
We are leaving for Colorado tomorrow. So hope you're ready for the trip -- I'm taking you with me. I should have plenty of time to blog - around 22 hours of driving (riding :o) I'm looking forward to just relaxing without alarms and obligations. Well, I've got to run. I have some packing to do. The day is blessed -- enjoy!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was so proud of you! Have a great trip. Love ya friend!

Unknown said...

Wilma, you should definetly be proud of yourself! That is quite an accomplishment! I hope you enjoy your trip.

Paul and Candy said...

Way to go Wilma! You know a lot of people would not have the drive to get up and do what you did, or they would have quit half way through. It's not always where you finish that makes you a winner....

Candy

Paul and Candy said...

Way to go Wilma...I am proud of you for finishing..It is more than I could do...Have fun in Colorado, I am going to miss it this year. Tell Kim and her husband hello and we hope to see them soon. Keep us updated on Wayne's success.. I have a good feeling that he will land a nice bull this year..I need an elk roast..Make him practice shooting. Watch out for the BEAR..

See ya (from Alabama this week)
Paul

Tim and Kristina said...

Great job Wilma!! You have a lot to be proud of. Have a great trip!

Kris

Heather said...

Wilma I admire you. I wish so much I could do what you do. I hope you have fun on vacation.Relax okay. I will check back for updates.

Stephanie said...

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU! Don't worry...when I start 5K-ing with you - you will kick my hiney to the curb and back! Kudos to you for finishing...as if your pride would let you stop - no way - not this girlfriend! Ahhh...A woman after my own heart. LOL!